Monday, May 15, 2006

Quick update

Just wanted to let everyone know that I’m still alive, and riding a massive sugar high – my dear family sent me a 1.1kg bag of Jelly Bellies (delivered by Sarah) so I’ve been gorging on that – after a hearty meal of T.Z., of course.

The Junior Fellows (short term EWB volunteers who are here for 4 months) have arrived in Ghana, and they’re quite the enthusiastic and energetic bunch. They demanded we throw them into the market the night they arrived in Accra, and we were more than willing to oblige. It’s nice to have some fresh faces in Ghana, especially since Tom has just left to chase Kurtz (he’s going on a Niger River Voyage in order to raise awareness about the efforts that people living in rural African communities are putting in daily to improve their lives).

In my next post, which should be quite soon (and will hopefully make up for this short one), I’ll describe in detail how Robin and I travelled from Tamale down to Accra – a trip that normally takes around 12-15 hours by bus, but for us took roughly four days, and involved 6 cows. I have included a teaser picture.

Work right now is going quite well. I’ve been going out to rural communities to assess the status of their wells. I basically need to check if the wells are dry (there’s quite a bit of variability in the water table level, so during the dry season many of these wells end up bone dry), ensure the construction of the wells is sound (e.g. no cracking in the cement), take the GPS coordinates, and – most importantly – interview members of the community to determine their level of satisfaction with the well, and what could be done to improve their situation. Making sure that the voice of the beneficiary is heard loud and clear back at the regional office is one of the best things I can do on this project. After all, at the end of the day, they’re the ones using the well: they’re the reason this project exists, and their needs come first.
 Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Travis said...

Hello Mr. Brown

Nice to hear that you are taking to bovines like Gogol used to take to consumptive children.

You seem to be having a pretty good time, and, all snide remarks about my overuse of empty development jargon aside, I am glad of that fact. I am looking forward to you next entry, maybe it will give me some ideas for my trip up north. (just to the north of Cameroon, we are staying here for the duration of our stay I think), however- if you feel like poppin' over (one "o" Luke, don't get any ideas)

oh- by the way- my cel is (237) 535 1976

wash behind your knees

trav

Anonymous said...

Fuckin' delightful, brother!

James--the-scourge-of-the-candy shop--Majoros