Sunday, November 26, 2006

Winding Up to Wind Down

It occurred to me that I haven’t posted any pictures in a while, so here are a few (descriptions below).

Work is moving along quite well as of late. I’ve been working with the DWST for almost 4 months, delivering workshops on topics like team coordination and communication, proposal writing, and scheduling of monitoring visits. I’ve also been helping them with their database system, so that they can keep track of all the water and sanitation facilities in the district. They’re very keen, and have great ideas to improve their operations, so it’s been a pleasure helping them develop these ideas into an action plan. We also now have two National Service volunteers working in the office (Mary and Asana). These are recent graduates from a college and university in Ghana, who are placed with the DWST for 8 months in order to gain work experience. They’ve been a really great addition to the team, and will hopefully continue my work after I’m gone.

Speaking of leaving, my time is now running very short here. I have only a few more weeks in the district, and about a million things to wrap up. Furthermore, the Governor General, Michaëlle Jean, is coming to Tamale as part of her African tour, and I’ve been invited to a luncheon that she’ll be attending this Thursday. Apparently I’ll be sitting at her table -- stay tuned for pictures and updates from that.

Besides that, I’ll also be travelling all over the country in the next couple weeks for an EWB retreat down south, and then to fly out from Accra. So I suspect I’ll be pretty exhausted by the time I leave in mid-December.

Finally, people have occasionally posted questions for me on my blog. For my last few weeks here, I’d like to invite anyone with questions to email me directly, and I’ll then respond to them in a blog posting. If you’re curious about anything here (e.g. the food, the animals, my host families, my work, the weather, the environment, the music, the transportation, the festivals, the artwork, the water situation, etc.) then please don’t hesitate to let me know.



Mary, Asana and Helen during refresher training for Water and Sanitation Committees.

A child at the refresher training.

Mary at the refresher training.

Obligatory cute kids shot.

 Posted by Picasa

No comments: